Saturday, February 7, 2009

Detail of a leaf with The Birth of Mahavira from the Kalpa Sutra






SPIRITUAL. The mediam used on this Indian work of art is gouache on paper. Mahaviara is most commonly used to refer to the Indian sage Vardhamana who established what today is considered to be the central tenets of Jainism. Through illumination, it is believed there are eight cardinal principals- and when attained, elevates one's quality of life helping to achieve spiritual excellence. I love Yoga because it helps me to focus on my "breath" which helps to slow me down while allowing me to rediscover my inner strength. It also makes my heart happy! I'm also drawn to this color scheme--red-orange, green and neutral tones. These hues remind me of nature (Autumn, my favorite season!) and awesome sunsets.

No comments:

Post a Comment